Sunday, December 17, 2017

A Solitary Forest In The Corner - Holidays Begin, 2017

 We got our Christmas tree up before Christmas Eve this year. Yeah! It just stood in the corner for about a week and a half before we had the energy to add lights. Well, I had the energy to add lights one night after My Sailor and Beanie Girl went to bed at 8pm. It was one of those rare occasions where I had no one demanding my time or attention for a few hours. So I poured myself a (rare) second glass of wine, added lights to the tree and hung up our large wreath before curling up to a heart-warmingly-corny Christmas movie (The Christmas Inheritance) on Netflix. Under that huge blanket, watching someone learn about the power of giving, I got to thinking about all the things we have this year.

This year, we gave away nearly all of Beanie Girl's infant things. Her infant car seat and strollers went to a friend who can share them with some folks just getting back on their feet and trying to get their families and their lives together. While we haven't battled their battles, we know all too clearly how scary it is to be on the brink - and just how many people are just a paycheck away from some very real problems. No matter how rough things were last year, we kept our roof, kept our wits (most of the time), stayed warm and dry, knew where we were sleeping and had faith we'd figure things out.
This year, we went back to the Military Kids and Families Christmas Party, much like last year. They had seen budget cuts, but Beanie Girl still got to play some games with us, decorate a cupcake (her choice - why have a cookie when you can have cake, right?!), and leave with a gift from Santa.
But the most precious part of this party is that we got to go together, as a family.

This year's gift is simple - spend time making memories. 
My Sailor may very likely not be around to celebrate the holidays with us as he'll rejoin the world of deployable submariners in the summer.

Once again, we've been blessed with friends and family who came to our aide. We wanted to take Beanie Girl to a Disney park before My Sailor deployed. My family helped make that happen.
Beanie Girl is a bit speech delayed and didn't talk much. Until she saw the castle.
Then all she could say was, "Wow!"
We heard that word a lot that trip.

Why didn't we wait until it's a memory she'll remember?
Because if families always 'wait until they'll remember it' you'd never do anything beyond the mundane. Travel encourages that natural sense of wonder and curiosity kids have about the world. Why introduce them to relatives when they are infants? They'll never remember it.
The simple answer is - it's really not all just about the kids. For us, anyway, it's about bonding. After all, the memories aren't just for the kids.

We've done walks and hikes and rock hunts of all kinds this year. Beanie Girl had her first swimming lessons at the Y, and she's kept us on our toes daily.
We've explored events with friends and family, and sought some help when we needed to.
We had a two or three date nights out this year to catch movies in theaters.
I added another writing job and a temp job in to fill some financial holes when the gym slowed down a bit.
We learned to do it all with no child care beyond that of my few hours available at the Y.
We even lost a member of our house this year.

One of my clients recently commented on our lifestyle, as a military family. The description I've settled on is,
"Our life is a constant exercise in adaptation."
Through it all, we've learned that we have an abundance of things we may not have fully recognized before. Things that can't be wrapped and put under a tree.
Things like -
Courage.
Clydas had moved with me from my hometown in California to Washington. He was my companion, and rescued me more often than I rescued him. He was my first dog. His downturn in health happened quickly. He left me no doubt it was time to say our goodbyes.
Physically having to carry him through those few days made me realize who grateful I am for the ability to do so - to respond when those I love need me. And it made me even more grateful for the friends and family who offered to help when the time came to say farewell.
The house will always be too quiet without him.
The courage he gave me to move through life - from divorce, depression, back to life again, adventures again, love again, marriage again, moving, and motherhood will stay with the paw print he's left on my heart.
Faith. 
It's been tested this year. But no matter what was going on, My Sailor has been the one feeding it. When business ebbs and flows (as it does) and the stakes are higher now (Beanie Girl), it's been My Sailor who has had the steadfast hugs and reminds me that we'll figure it out because we always do. And I choose to believe him.
And he's usually right (at least about this).
Resourcefulness.
 When the going get tough, the tough get going.

My family is coming up for Christmas this year, and I can't wait to visit with them.
And no matter what happens in 2018,
I bet it's going to be an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment